In accordance with Meatless Monday, this week I made shrimp scampi. I have made it before, but have never really been thrilled with the outcome. It is always too bland for me. Also, I am not a huge shrimp person but Wonderful husband is a big seafood lover.
I searched around and settled on this recipe from Damn Delicious. It seemed easy enough and for once, I had most of the ingredients on hand. I did change a few things to suite our taste preferences but it was by far the best scampi I have ever made. It will definitely be making another appearance in the future!
- 8 ounces linguine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more, to taste
- 1/4 cup white wine*
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
*Chicken stock can be subbed for white wine if desired
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add shrimp, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in wine and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a simmer; remove from heat and stir in pasta, lemon zest and parsley.
- Serve immediately, garnished with Parmesan, if desired.
I had a package of shrimp in my freezer from when Aldi had a sale, so I pulled that out to thaw. We had a container of left over linguine from Fatty Friday in the fridge so I pulled that out too. Once the shrimp had thawed out I ripped off their little tails and plopped them in a big skillet. I threw in some coconut oil to substitute the butter, a few minced cloves of garlic, and some Tastefully Simply Onion Onion. While that was all sauteing together I sifted through my spice cabinet and found a random jar of mixed spices with red pepper flakes in it. We are not big spice people so I didn’t want to make it too hot.
After the shrimp was all warmed up and sizzle-y with the spices I added in the chicken stock and lemon. Now, I only keep fresh lemons on hand and didn’t feel like digging out a measuring cup so I guesstimated that two lemon would give up about 1/4 cup of juice. Because I don’t trust myself, I did one lemon at a time. I juiced one lemon into the skillet and zested the squished little body. Wonderful Husband stepped in the voice concern about the amount of lemon being added. We taste tested and the dish was so overpoweringly lemon-y we did not dare add the second lemon. This is probably a matter of personal preference.
When it was boiling and looking yummy, I stirred in the pasta. I turned the heat down low and let it all mix together for a while before letting WH try it. He deemed it too lemony and not creamy enough (realized later he was thinking of alfredo not scampi), so I added about 2 oz of cream cheese and let it melt together for about 5 minutes. We plated it and sat down for dinner.
Little Darling sat in her high chair staring woefully at us while we snarfed down our dinner. It was amazing! So deliciously creamy and lemony and garlicky. It was just plain awesome. A lovely light summery dish that filled us up without making us feel bloated and gross. I don’t even like shrimp and I cleaned my plate.
It came together quickly and easily, and except for the cream cheese, it isn’t too unhealthy. Definitely a keeper!