Again with the plethora of zucchini around my house (although it will be ending soon I fear because something ate one of my zucchini plants). I still have tons of it in my fridge I am trying to use up. I am really enjoying have free veggies laying around my house, but it does get hard to come up with new recipe and ideas.
I had a friend over last night and we decided that we should make some zucchini to go with our dinner. I searched around and found this recipe for baked zucchini sticks. Looking through, it seemed pretty straight forward. Like an oven baked version of fried zucchini.
- 3 medium Zucchini, cut in sticks
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Ranch dressing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 F degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- I used 3 medium zucchini which i cut in half, then cut each half in half lengthwise,then each quarter in half again, so you end up with 8 sticks from one zucchini.
- Beat the egg in a shallow plate. Season the egg with salt and pepper. In another shallow plate mix the Panko breadcrumbs together with the parmasean cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dip each zucchini stick in the egg wash, then roll through the breadcrumb mixture, making sure each stick is fully covered with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with Ranch dressing or Marinara sauce.
I basically made up my own recipe. I used eggs and parmasean and bread crumbs, along with salt and pepper and some garlic powder. These things turned out perfect! Nice and crunchy and crispy. I feel that this is a nice alternative to fried zucchini because it is baked and not fried, but you still get the satisfaction of the crunch and taste.